Thursday, August 07, 2008

Short Farm Post

Apologies for the inconsistent blogging. Thanks to KH for the 8/3 comment. Gives me an excuse to write about the farm while I'm putting together the next bone post. I know everyone is waiting breathlessly for that. Art as an early two year old above. I'll have the camera back soon. He's a different horse now.

As to sending mine to a training center, that's a fair question. And, a thought, with the Woodlands closing. Doubt we'll go that route, unless we find a budding Dutrow, lol. Our best laid plans were to gallop into the Woodlands with 8 weeks of a real live race track to do the jock work, and then stable at Fairmont Park possibly considering Oaklawn or Will Rogers in Tulsa, depending.

With Woodlands gone, jeez, we're trying to figure Plan B and the price of gas, plus we had a rather revolting development yesterday. see below. My two truthfully have been held back by weather and immaturity and maybe a little more dawdling on my part than I'd like. But, I think they're about there now, and hope to be able to report from a race track in the next weeks.

As to Got Country Grip, KH, I'm unable to see what you referred to. Nor am I entirely sure I understood your point. But, agreed there's a lot of concern about youngsters and speed. I have it and am considering some interesting revisions to Burch training which I'll post eventually.


Training:
Tues. 8/5: Injury to Art today that I'd thought was a bowed tendon. Unbelievable. I'll archive the observation and the thought process. Let's say I was discouraged for a good while. Morning feeding time I see Art take one bad step. I'm in a hurry and see nothing else untoward, but all day at the office I'm thinking hmmm. Decide not to train Tues. night, one of those premonitions. Then, feeding in the dark, I injury check still worrying about that bad step, and sure enough a blown up front right from mid cannon down to the fetlock with a whole lot of heat emanating from one little area above the fetlock. I'm in disbelief because there's absolutely nothing this horse has done training wise to cause this. I'm starting to think rap instead of bow.

Tues. night the horse gets bute and by Wed. morning lots of swelling still. I look at it in daylight, and, interestingly, the appearance is much more of a rap than a bow. Unable to tell for sure as there's significant swelling now going all the way up the leg. But, that's good, i.e. the swelling is other than localized, we're without the fleshy feel of a bow, and #1 the horse is NOT lame at the walk. At this point I'm thinking very serious rap instead of bow. We're without kinks also.

Put leg in the water bucket for the few moments I've got before the office. Checked Art at 7 pm this evening, and, by jove, significant reduction in swelling. Unable to feel any heat. This might be only a one week thing. Upsets me to lose a week, but beats losing this horse. Verdict still out though, as I type. Rod had his second day off. (Edit--Thurs. morn heat is back. The youngsters were romping hopefully explains renewed heat. Swelling is way down, but above the fetlock it threatens to harden. Due to that I'm back to being very concerned.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at the horse running third (the multicolored paint, not Got Country Grip).
His RR hoof is on the outside of his RF knee and a mile ahead of the RF hoof. (Jack Rabbit style)
He does not wait for his RF to get out of the way before reaching up with RR.
All horses do this when they are born and as they grow they stop doing it (you will likely never a photo in Bloodhorse that looks like this unless its of the bullet worker of a 2YO sale.) Virtually all QH's do it (some carry patches on the inside hocks to guard against front hooves (long toe grabs) hitting them). TB 2YO in training and horses being asked for speed do it (some not all). Mix in the rotary gallop of some sprinters and TBs when leaving the gate (and its associated lead change required at some point) it all adds up to a faster, but less energy efficient way of runnning, and more importantly, legs and hooves all over the place and potentially clunking each other when not being controlled by a well structured musculature. That type of limb contact scenario has got to sour a young horse should it happen. Now he's runnning and just trying to keep from hitting himself... Seems a bigger issue than concussion at least in early training, and I would think the risk of missteps and then high concussion would be higher.
Anyway, just some random thoughts that I find interesting, but you rarely find any solid discussion about it (Maybe that should tell me something, in that it's less a big deal than I make it out to be!).

KH

8/7/08, 1:49 PM  
Blogger rather rapid said...

KH ive gone cross eyed looking at all the paints in that video and still unable to see it. and, dag gummit you may have let the cat out of the bag as far as concussion, though the RR blog final conclusion on this is a bit down the road. As to QH's or sprinters hitting or the rotary gallop causing hits, while my stable has few rats I've never had a problem. Suspect conformation, shoeing and inadequate training. Weaker horses I'm presuming are more likely to have their legs out of control coming out of the gate. But, I did have a horse Aylward that fairly consistently and inexplicably would cross fire and leave blood on his front fetlocks. Never stopped him, so, unknown if this is a big issue. I'm thinking maybe with some when it's severe. Nice to hear from you again!

8/7/08, 11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for the confusion, I'm only looking at the still picture at the top of your blog entry of Monday July 28th...(not any video)

KH

8/8/08, 8:04 AM  
Blogger rather rapid said...

lol. now i see it. i kept looking at that 8 min. blood horse video. the slo mo also shows Grip in similar close quarters with his stride. might be a toe grab or speed thing.

8/8/08, 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home