Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Martin Wolfson


After KH comment, a post just for fun.

Which one is Martin Wolfson the horse trainer? One photo is Martin Wolfson, the Associate Professor of Economics at Notre Dame, the other the horse trainer graduate of Miami Dade County Junior College that won 30% of races and trains light according to Andy Beyer. Who would you trust with your horse?

I've handicapped enough Wolfson horses to verify the light training part. Nor has Wolfson impressed me or been successful in races I've handicapped, but small sample. Is he a good trainer, and how do you define that?

I tend to react to clues. I've been around, I'm confident. Stuff has to hit my receptors that I approve of. The M. Wolfson info is building. In this day and time - e.g.- can we trust a trainer who lacks a website?

And, by Beyer, is there anything wrong with a successful track trainer rhapsodizing over his "light" training when horses are falling like flies from light training? Well, unknown to me. Perhaps, as Beyer speculates, Wolfson's light training and husbandry is somehow superior as it would hardly surprise--just check the websites--that you can get sore mis-cared for horses out of the Plecher and Mott barns.

I'd like to see more. The part that intrigues is Wolfson's weight lifting past, and possibly present. Beyer, the obvious non-athlete, completely misses the state of body building nutrition these days which basically makes steroids irrelevant. Is it possible that body builder Wolfson would miss this stuff:

https://www.t-nation.com/free_online_store

and fail to understand the performance enhancing effects of Citrulline malate, L-Leucine, and Beta Alinine etc. Try a Beta Alinine supplement sometime and see what it does to your performance. Click Surge, Product Facts for ingredients.

I'd like to know what Wolfson's injury % is. The stat that matters to me is wins per horses in the barn to show the super trainer. Does Wolfson deserve Beyer's skepticism? I'm glad someone is taking these trainers on. Here's Beyer's article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/23/AR2009022302714.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns

and, BTW, M. Wolfson the professor above is on the left, the horse trainer at right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home