Saturday, September 05, 2009

Training

My blogging suffers as our attention to our horses continually gets diverted by the weather. That's my excuse for the fall off in posts, and sticking to it. Things have reached a new level of absurdity with the KC weather as the normally relatively dry summer has turned into an almost every week mud fest. The map below is from yesterday when rain fell here most of the day. That's, I believe, our 3rd rain of the week, with similar patterns now for about 4 weeks in a row.

I have long ago given up thinking things are getting better weather wise. Just the opposite, I think they'll get worse, and I am only hoping that we can get enough training in to start thinking about a race track, which at this time of year are about 350 miles away.

In any event, presumably my thought process will return to my subject and I will start posting again about injury prevention.

I'll be watching the Woodward, of course. Unknown why, but I'm one of the few having trouble generating interest about Rachel Alexandra. Sure she is the perfectly conformed TB filly. I'm unable to recall one having seemingly every part just the way it would be drawn up in an ideal sense. Suspecting my thoughts are dampened both due to the connections, and what smacks of exploitation of an animal, and in any event I am one who simply fails to get the point of racing fillies against males. Does this sport at this point in time really need to take any chance at all on another 8Belles happening. All this will get lost until the next one goes down, I fear.

Will she win? I glanced at the PPs. Hilariously, Rachel seems to have the most logical training of the bunch except the last listed horse, forget his name now Past the Points or something like that. Live long shot I'd think. There's the Borel factor working, and probably she'll be tough to beat taking everything into account. To say she will get beat probably overlooks what you'd normally consider, but I do have a premonition something untoward will happen. We'll see.

Training:
Thurs. 9/3: Ground conditions were such that we could gallop. Art went 1.6 miles mostly gallop. Was looking forward to a big Rod workout. Put on the saddle at near dark, and ooops, sprung rear shoe. How does a horse spring the rear. I'm unable to recall it happening before last week with Art. I'm sure it has happened. I just fail to recall. Now 2 rear sprungs in one week. Shoe slapped back on and we ran the horse riderless in moonlight with the 14 year old very snappy to keep some weight off. Of course the next day would be rain. Never fails.
Fri. 9/4 Off. Rain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home