Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sun. Misc.

Today a day for jockey spills in the news including a 58 year old fellow at Blue Ribbon who died, and more pause for thought when we get on a horse. I was thinking this year of giving the gate a try. Big advantage to ride your own out of the gate. But, after today's news of several stumbles leaving the gate, I have decided to pass on gate work. Final decision. Unable, I'm thinking, to handle stumbling at my height. It's hard enough if your horse stumbles and your 5'1". At my height of 6' 1.5" its probably beyond danger and into folly. RIP to that fellow at Blue Ribbon!

Still trying to get back on subject here. A week ago on my trip I was thinking St. Louis for my boys is 50-50. Really a big step to give up the nice farm in KC. But terrible weather once again this week, and here we sit. By week's end I am 100% going. Then... get to the farm tonight and Big Art has got a serious eye injury, white "opacity" right in the center of his eye just to rear or the iris and touching it. Boy oh boy! Bad luck continues. Hit something or got it fighting. Maybe it will heal, but probably this horse has got vision obstruction in his right eye for life. We'll see.

Training:
Wed-Sat Off. It rained Tues, Wed and Fri. this week. Schedule to rain Wed, Thurs. and Fri. next week. Weather continues.
Sun. 10/18: Both horses went riderless in spurts in deep mud for 10 min.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home