Sunday, April 27, 2014

Derby/RR Stable

My casual glance at the Derby so far, and particularly the Sat. breeze vids--

Look #1:  The trainers are all doing the same thing--reporting 4f works while essentially breezing a mile. They all do it once a week. They all have talented horses.  Would seem my experience would permit me to sort this out.  Maybe I have been away from the game too long.  I know nothing.

Look #2:  Ahhhh....the nuances.  California Chrome very strong, all the way.  Up on toes, all the way.  A horse that fast, who is strong perhaps by his many races, has to be tough.  And yet, Q--If Art Sherman could train would we have heard more of him by now?

Wicked Strong gives the impression of being the best most talented horse.  However--he finished his work a little tired albeit with a heavier rider.  Q--can a trainer unable to figure out how to keep a horse's tongue in his mouth train a race horse?  I've watched Jimmie Jerkens before.  Forgot my criticisms although my memory--he puts his horses up and does nothing with them after their works.  Unknown.  Looking at Jerkens physically-- put my $$$ elsewhere.

Uncle Sigh--I've liked this horse all the way and also realize he runs for a trainer unable to teach a dog to bark, although the Gary Contessa interview shows an intelligent fellow who maybe has stepped up to plate with this horse. Uncle S carries a heavy exercise rider in this work and is strong all the way. Distance a Q.  Sneaking hunch Uncle Sigh will be in there.

Samarat--very coordinated athlete. Same trainer handicapp as Uncle Sigh.  Need to see more.

Medal County--When Dale Romans speaks, I listen.

RR Stable:
#17 Couple days from galloping in the new paddock--looking around right now and need to avoid spooking in new digs.
#148  Mr. Nob says that he just tries to avoid looking down.  The horse is doing nice figure 8s at the walk and now responding to rider aides, which is progress. Should be trotting shortly.

Weather continues a problem around here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home