Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Farm Update




Here's a shot of our barn. There's a basketball court in the upper section. The lower section abutting the ground in concrete is the open barn area for the horses.

This farm is located 12.5 miles from downtown Kansas City, a 15 minute commute to my office. When I'm lucky I go down the interstate, hit two green lights and drive into the office parking lot.

I've rented this farm for 15 years from a judge's wife. Jane Elliot's father, an optomitrist, built this place and the classic old barn in the 1940's. There used to be 90 acres, but now, the back 40 where I once had a wonderful track, has apartment buildings. The bulldozers are to the edge of the property. Luckily landlord Jane is anti-development, and I think she intends to hang in there with the farm for a few more years.

Tonight Dr. Kent Jackson, my vet, will look at Art's hoof and we'll determine whether any hoof wall removal is required before hopefully a patch job this weekend to put the little horse back in business. I'll report on the vet visit later.

Tonight I look forward to the third straight night of galloping after last weekend's rains. Spring is here, and wallet, energy and weather permitting we hope to hit Eureka Downs in a couple of weeks.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice hay wagon!!

4/18/07, 12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope everything went well last night!!! Let us know what the vet says.

LyndaP

4/19/07, 5:46 AM  
Blogger rather rapid said...

Txs Lynda, and KH. Vet report coming.

4/19/07, 1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home