Thursday, October 25, 2007

November 2, 2006

As I type the Shore Breeze has yet to arrive and I've yet to hear from the Van driver "Mike" since Tues. morning. Mike's phone is always on voice mail. Getting a little concerned they have yet to arrive, or me hear anything from them!

Just checked, and my, oh my. 11/2/06 was the first day I put the saddle on Art, now age two. That's one value of the blog. Creates a record. I'd never remember saddling Art happened that early, and here we are a year later and he's still yet to trot under tack.

With Woodland's any racing pressure is off and I'm back at the farm thoroughly enjoying the nice weather and slow pace. Last Sunday I took my six year old Acesmash to Archie, Missouri to his new home. Archie is 30 minutes south of KC. Horses all over the place. There was even a horse drawn carriage going through the center of town. Other than one of those commercial things. Just a couple of horses and six or seven people in the wagon having a blast on a Sunday.

I unloaded Ace at his new home and was thrilled to see so many well cared for animals, dogs and horses. I'd sort of figured it out on the phone, but, good to see it in person. Ace will be lucky for at least a year or so more. Decided to cut my losses with big Ace. That's one I blew, completely. A talented, major league grand son of Broad Brush unraced early due to my health problems, and then he just became too big and fat. I've never seen a horse carry as much manure as Ace. He just never passed but a little at a time and was always carrying 40 or 50 extra pounds around the track.

With the new one coming in, five would be too many. With Ace gone I've had three the last few days, and it's such a pleasant, nice number. 12 feet instead of 16; two to ride per day instead of four, as with four you're always trying to catch up. Less feeding, less hay, less water, one less horse to corall, crash through fences, break in the barn. Four's a big herd for one person to do everything. And, three's been a pleasure!

Training:
It's also so much easier with three. More time to do less work! Art went for 15 minutes riderless one half mile at a time with rests between. Groovin' Wind was leading so every one of them snappy. Tough workout and rest tomorrow. Then 10 minutes trot-walk at the lunge under 30 lbs. Astride. Getting the sesamoids and fetlock ready for weight pressure. With Art I'll be rapidly going into galloping. I've had better race horses, but, I do like how little Art darts around the big fellows with great ease.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home