Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Curlin Correctionâ™ 


Txs to anonymous commenter on my last post about the training of Curlin. I've learned two things here. 1. it's unnecessary to pay $8.00 to equibase to get the PPs (as I just did) and then get only part of them, and 2. you can get PPs for free on DRF, which is just great. Again, txs. anonymous!

Some how I have missed, or Blood Horse failed to report, the last three Curlin breezes. Even today, before I read anonymous comment, I was scratching my head at how hard Asmussen's Pyro and other TC trainees were working, and here (I had thought) Curlin was doing almost nothing. But, here is the "corrected" Curlin PPS all at the Fairgrounds:

1/6/08 :53.40
1/12/08 :51:20
1/18/08 1.04
1/24/08 1.00.6
1/30/08 1:13
2/5/08 1.25.20
2/12/08 1.23.60

Seems a logical, very aggressive progression. Exactly 6 days between breezes, plenty of sub :12.5s. If I'd question anything about this it would be the one powderpuff 4f breeze between 2/12 and 2/28 the day of the race. I'd question it more in terms of performance than injury avoidance though you might still ask the question as to how much bone resorption between 2/12 and the race.

The above of course revises completely my incorrect opinions of last post. It also supports my notion that Asmussen exceeds conventional training in the Lukas mold. Is it enough? Not in my book, but, I'd call Curlin's prep above average, and give the sufficiency in terms of fracture resistance a "maybe"with the soon to be completed analysis on the blog. At any rate you'd hardly think this trainer is a putz to train against. Training that's cause for concern for us aspiring Derby types.

Training: horses off yesterday after 3 straight days of quick as conditions allow riderless galloping. Will we go out and do tack work with the winds howling at 28 degrees today? We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home