Monday, August 18, 2008

Monday

Sat. 8/16: Tack work: Art 1 mile trot. Rod 3/4 mile trot walk.
Sun. 8/17 Tack only: Art 1.25 mile trot/intermittent gallop. Rod 1 mile mostly trot.
Mon. 8/18. You never know with horses. This morning I'm rushing off to a mandatory meeting and Art shows light colic, refusing to eat, but gut sounds on both sides. I trotted him and administered banamine. I'm a pretty good judge of this stuff now believing he'd be fine and he was. No feed for today though, and thus we abandoned the planned tack work so I could monitor the colic situation by watching the horse work riderless.
5 x 2f fast with about 1/2f of each furlong full speed--remember we have a developing 2 year old in there. But, WOW! These boys are flashing some speed. We're starting to get excited. Racing is great, but this sort of stuff also makes your day! As a side note, the exercise gave the opportunity to get Art with his colic to drink. That's big--get 'em hot and they'll take some water and that will generally solve the problem!

2 Comments:

Blogger Wind Gatherer said...

Just found your blog. Great stuff.

Do you interval train? I read Ivers' The Fit Racehorse II and can't find anyone that buys into his theory-just like he said I guess.

I would love to read your opinion.

8/20/08, 9:12 AM  
Blogger rather rapid said...

Hi Winston. imo Fit II was the worst of Ivers. He just pasted that together from his prior stuff. If you have horses or train the series of four tapes and the Interval Training the Thoroughbred tape are classics. I put one horse through Ivers twice. Here are dates of my posts on Ivers which also contain my opinions of the training:

12/5/06
12/8/06
12/9/06
12/11/06

Here are the posts on the horse that went through Ivers named Jeckimba Bay:
2/8/07
2/13/07
2/15/07
2/16/07.

8/20/08, 2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home