Sunday, November 09, 2008

Dust Settling...

"Thanne is it wisdom, as it thinketh me,
To maken vertu of necessitee." Chaucer from the Knight's Tale

Election distractions over and I'm pondering Joe Klein at the N.Y. Times and his new "cross racial synergy". I've been dropped suddenly onto another planet. My personal thoughts are to wish our new, reasonably intelligent, highly congenial pres the best as I wonder what this portends for we Caucasians over the long haul.

And, I have been interrupting my new Chaucer studies with horse training to be sure. Get through the tedious prologue and Chaucer has some pretty good stuff. An Artiste. I fear the blog will be sprinkled with Chaucer quotes for a while. Pertaining to horse racing, of course.

Meanwhile we're training in a refrigerator. Winter has blown in prematurely though it's just today that I'm appreciating we'll soon be in the freezer and the mere refrigerator will be looking pretty good around January 1. I watch Tiski, Russia for the weather, and another ominous winter building, I'm fearing.

The target date for our 3 year old is Will Rogers Downs, February 1. We're weather dependent on that one, but keeping fingers and toes crossed. Right now we're trying to solve transportation issues. Just as I think I've got the trailer floor on the 1975 Homemade reconstructed I notice there's 1.5 inches of air between the wood floor slats and the metal supports that I just spent $500 to reweld. Unbelievable. Do you have to do everything yourself these days?

Tomorrow I'll get back somewhat reluctantly to injury prevention. Watching the Breeder's Cup, it sunk in that on the artificial surfaces all the old analysis will be close to irrelevant with about 50% less concussion. Good and bad for small outfits. More decent horses will survive in the big outfits to face us in the starting stalls. With less threat of injury we may also see the biggies actually start training again, ye gads.

Training:
Thurs. 11/7: Rod: Off. Art 1 mile walk-trot on spongy grass.
Frid. 11/8: Rod: 1.5 mile trot--walk with a few strides of canter on still very wet ground.
Art: 1.25 miles trot with gallop where we could. Planned 2 miles aborted when Mr. Nob the rider suddenly develops a "stitch" in his kidney area. Age/cold weather combo I'm supposing. Nob is walking around bent. We'll have to throw him back up there tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home