Monday, May 30, 2011

$122.00

Cost of a fill up for my truck this morning. Good grief! Taking stock of our horse racing effort these days obviously gas prices make it history to take a dash down to Eureka 175 miles away for an every 3 day breeze even as recently as 2007, it being--formerly-- far more economical and easier on horse and man to drive to that little track, unload the horses, give them a half hour rest, do the breeze work, load up and drive back to KC instead of stationing the horses at the race track. Nostalgia!

These days we operate in an economy were I make barely enough cash to pay minimum bills. And, I've been unable to muster sufficient personal energy to overcome the meteorological rain deluge of the last three years in our area.

My personal optimism that I can get to the race track is still there even if the problems seem so much larger than in former times. Nearby race tracks have closed. I have now large engineering difficulties with my equipment as the new truck with its 18 inch wheels and old low to the ground horse trailer fail to mesh. I screwed up redoing my trailer floor, and that's still up in the air. Kansas Racing Commission is no more, and so, a trainers license must be re-got in another state, and the litany of obstacles goes on, and that's hardly to mention the combo of lingering snow and abscess-hoof problems that have seen us training in 2011 so far 2 out of the 5 months.

I look at all this with a "wow". But hope springs eternal, the weather seems to have shifted back to "normal" and, frankly, I still enjoy the daily work of training combined with--and this is more than ever--the purses these days are so large seems to me you can grow fairly quickly wealthy at the race track with a nicely trained horse. That is ever before us!

I will be very busy in my office through June 6, but then things will have cleared up, and will commence addressing getting to a track. On my blog I hope to continue following the progress of Animal Kingdom as they prepare that talented horse for the Belmont.

Training:
Sat: 5/29 The horses were feeling no pain after 4.5 days off due to weather. 10 min of light riderless paddock play and some light tack work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home