Monday, June 18, 2012

Performance

And, away we go.  This blog has covered a lot of ground--the preliminaries of performance--warm ups and injury prevention, keeping them on the track instead of the hospital ward. 

Somewhere in August-Sept. 2007 I experimented with various warm ups for my horses.  The warm up idea involved both injury prevention and performance.  You warm up for both. And--permit me a short personal anecdote on this.  My theory had been--you warm up soft tissue AND BONES.  I fractured a small bone in my wrist from two falls over the past three months.  I am noticing that this bone in my wrist is initially sore in the weight room BUT after two or three sets the pain subsides.  If I go all out on this bone prior to warming it up, it fractures.  After appropriate warm up of that bone--think horse's legs--it holds together, pain gone.

My warm up section lacks a solid conclusory post and so, if interested, read the August-Sept 2007 posts.  It's a complex subject particularly regards practicality of performing warm ups at ur local race track.

I concluded, after various experiments the ideal warm up is:

2f (:15) + 1f (:14) + 1.5f (:13).  Walk-trot in between.  My horses were most ready to perform after this particular warm up.

Two years of injury prevention posts sum up as follows:  must do, minimally, 4f every 7 days at :12.5 sec/f or faster.

A couple of the important performance variables are thus in place on this blog.  I am fairly confident in them.  Next is a training schematic that gets us, presumably, max performance on race day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Bill said...

Hi RR-

One of the most illuminating experiences I had with horses came early in my HR/GPS days.

I use this equipment on myself during training for races lasting anywhere from 100m to the marathon. The best conditioned human athletes take over 45sec at max pace to reach max HR, it just takes the human CV system that long to catch up.

However, even the worst thoroughbred can hit max HR in less than 10sec.

Predator vs Prey. Not sure this has anything to do with ideal warm-ups but I found it interesting.

I think the real application is to interval training - I'm just not sure you can extend human IT concepts to horses, like Ivers taught.

6/19/12, 7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home