Saturday, July 14, 2012

Exercise Schematic

A diagram. We put down on paper what we intend to do. A schematic usually omits all details that are not relevant to the information the schematic is intended to convey--according to Wikepedia.

For our horses we outline on paper our exercise program from day to day and hope the horse cooperates.  By my experience I've rarely stuck to the details of anything I've written down for any length of time although in general I have carried out some programs on the track mostly involving the recommendations of Tom Ivers and Preston Burch.  Generally the written program gets tweaked from day to day depending on multiple factors including various factors involving our good horse.

One of my rules has been to avoid drawing up the exercise program from the seat of my pants.  If ur trainer is dreaming up today's workout while he accompanies the horse as it is walking to the track, or, worse yet, the typical--the jock arrives to find the trainer mucking stalls.  "What do u want to do with him today".  "We're just doing an easy 5/8s".  Throws the rider up.  Watches horse and rider walk off into the distance.  Recommences mucking stalls.

I'd say most of my mistakes have resulted from last minute adjustments of the exercise program.  On the fly adjustments, I call them.  I have a valid reason, of course.  Trouble is, when I'm done and have a chance to reconsider what "I was going to do" instead,  I then remember all the reasons behind what I was going to do, and the exact reasons why I was going to avoid doing what I actually did.  In general, stick to the program.  In general, avoid adjusting on the fly.

Specifics would be easier to relate were I training a live horse right now.  Will have to deal with this on recollection.  What I'm into here with these exercise schematics is:  how often do we breeze; how far, and what's always been the hardest question for me--what do we do on the days in between.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home