Monday, June 25, 2012

Performance Variables

Way back as a freshman at Rolla High School, Rolla, Missouri circa 1961 I began to learn there is more to athletic performance than natural ability. The initial lesson was administered by fellow classmate, then a junior named Jim Hogan, a superior natural athlete.  I experienced the privilege, as did many others, of Hogan striking me out on the baseball diamond, and watched him with his size, strength, natural explosiveness, man among boys physique dominate the various early H.S. Sports.

Then the lesson--that I still recall.  Early basketball season, Rolla H.S. playing somebody and Hogan was missing among our starters.  He was there on the bench.  Rolla was losing and basketball player me kept wondering why they were declining to insert Hogan into this game where I calculated--as i was prone to do watching sports--that Hogan quickly impact the game.  Hogan came in and just his presence made some difference in the game.  Coach never saw it and Hogan played only a few minutes in each half.

Oblivious coach or some problem here with Hogan was my thought process.  Likely a little bit of both.  Hogan played a few minutes in subsequent games and was cut around mid season.  He tried out for a few more of our teams but never made any more impact in athletics at our school.  My thought as a youngster--if they'd just play the guy he'd have been a star.

Hogan's problems, as it was rumored, he had a questionable attitude, failed to like sports although he was good at it, was a poor practice player, was constantly pissing off the coaches and was one of those going to drinking parties behind the stands after the games.

Hogan was such a great athlete and his failure so glaring in light of his abilities that his lesson never left me.  There is more to sports than natural ability.

This general principle has since been reinforced for me repeatedly and gives some hope for our middling Thoroughbreds.  They can be coached up, presumably, if we know how.  I've done it with my basketball teams, seen the individual improvement as seasons wore on, and with my horses.  Weirdly it's a characteristic of sports that to this day so many completely overlook.  How many trainers ever talk about improving their horses?

What goes into this, I call "variables" of performance.  Call them anything--characteristics, traits, things that must be done to win etc. etc.  First deal imo is to identify them. It's the golden fleece.  After that, go to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home