Thursday, August 30, 2012

Training Facilities



First money credited to the bank account today. Blogger and co. in "purchase" mode.  There's such a small window of opportunity with these youngsters were time really does fly away at lightening speed.  I still recall my super animal Acesmash, accidental son of my Broadbrush stallion who was such a nice horse as a two and three year old and I fiddled and fiddled and never got serious till age 4 at which time he'd grown too big and fat.  Missed it completely with a potential major league animal.

This was my intent with my last two bought in 2006 and 2007.  Break 'em, do the requisite galloping at the farm and get 'em to the track early age two.  As it turned out the KC for the next 5 years almost immediately from the date of purchase started with constant record rainfall   We never did get 'em there.

So, another chance now and same idea.  By coincidence my retirees are pastured on the above lovely cut hay field.  70 acres of this stuff.  Left click and see that it's a trainers dream come true.  Numerous perfectly sloping hills, straight aways, absolutely flat ground with the grass absolutely the right height.  Everything necessary can be done with a horse here should the weather hold, and so area in which we may gallop the youngster is one of the reasons for my enthusiasm.  

My first thought was--heck I can keep the horse here till June or July, do all the breeze work and be racing quite soon after we hit a race track middle of age two. Failed to reckon this grass is going to start growing in early April, and after that we'll shortly be out of business in that field.

Good enough though.  If I can figure out the logistics of getting to the place, which is about 17 miles away, and the field itself is buried back in the woods and a daily pain to get to--and when u get there still necessary to find the horses somewhere on the 70 acres, drive 'em to the saddling area etc.

Getting ahead of myself, except to think that the major obstacle for anyone buying a new horse is the place to train, and so nice before hand this field is there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home