Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Saratoga Sale

Long time since this blogger was interested in any sale.  Reopens the important horse acquisition Q.  And so, I was glued to the interesting opening session at Saratoga last eve.  Being without any previous experience involving this sale--never watched it before--the first thing that hit me was the amount of $$$ raining down from the sky.  Horse after horse comes in at 2-3 hundred thousand dollars. thought occurs--where do these people get their dough? Somebody paid $310,000 for a cribber, good grief!

I watch the sale with for purpose of educating my eyeballs so that when the $3,000 prospect walks through the ring and nobody bids, I am ready to strike without any Q that I am looking at a good horse. Lot's of good experience here and certainly nothing wrong with the horses.

Some notes I made as it went:

completely irrational bidding--the usual.
425000 for more than ready filly out of unraced monarchos mare without a foal record to date. wtf.
horse handler driving me nuts--just let 'em be.(that was the first one, the black guy.  The second fellow, white dude was quite good.  Let 'em have their heads. Knew how to show a horse.)

watched to Hip 100
Only 4 or 5 horses here that would be other than top stakes class in terms of conformation and appearance.
breeding good horses now.
typical hot housed yearlings in terms of conditioning.
lots of $$$
the usual suspects as owners from the morning line in T Times. Almost nobody new, and really a small number of people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home