Wednesday, October 10, 2012

First Shoeing OMG

Blogger weighs in at 164 at the gym Tues. morn.   24 hrs. later, Wed. morn. 158 lbs.  And that's after two large meals and lots of snacking.  Want weight loss.  Just shoe a TB yearling in the wooded corner of an open field.  Deer flitting about/cold crisp fall air/ huge youngster that's all legs and unable to stand still at his feed tub much less for shoeing/without a holder for #148.  

I'm down in a farrier's crouch, left front between my knees, drive nail #1, and this happened:
Farriers aprons are horribly heavy on lower back.  I avoid using 'em.  This little incident even with my low IQ I'd figured one could sever an artery.  Abandoned farrier's crouch thereafter and just stood at side of horse and held up leg and awkwardly but safely drove each nail.  Only took an hour to tack on two shoes after it took me 2 hrs. day before to fit both fronts.  Avoid all the details--shoeing a TB yearling--OMG.  Leave it at that.

Saving grace is that both these horses are very sensible with high horse IQs.  And, as happens, as the first shoeing goes along they begin to figure it out. In #148s case initially I had about 15 sec. before he'd pull his leg away, but 30 sec. at end. Should be much easier to shoe hinds tonight.

Had to shoe because we're ready to get on. Need the shoes to avoid slipping/falling in the grass. Training is just suspended until I can get these shoes on.  Two days so far, although--I did get a little running in the field yest. with the rest of the horses. Of course, next thing to happen, he'll lose a shoe in the pond.
 What we've done so far and were we go, next post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home