Sunday, November 18, 2012

Challenges Finale

A few posts back involved various challenges  getting our horses to the race track.  Posted on riding since I was a little rusty and getting old, facilities here in KC since RR now without our own farm now,the big one which is money, although I've never been into buying success.  More fun when you're scratching and scraping possibly.  Another one I had in mind was personal motivation, energy, discipline--state of things at age 65 and now 28 years since purchase of horse #1.  My conception was sort of a personal diary of up and down.

That was a month ago.  Will skip by this "challenges" thing for now.  They are all still there, of course. At the moment my mind set is beyond belaboring obstacles and just getting it done, and that is particularly after watching my horses run today.

. The facilities Q will be answered in the next week.  Two choices:

1.  Hire an Louisiana trainer and groom that I know to oversee my horses while I go back and forth to Opellousas.  I'd spend about a week at a time down there, then back to KC to handle business, and back down, in hopes the trainer will get the horses ridden when I'm gone.  This would be a highly expensive and barely doable proposition.  Bottom line--I've probably got enough $$$ for about 3 months of this, and then hopefully horses would be close to racing and a deal might be struck to finish the job.

2.  Option 2 is to pay this farmer in KC enough $$$ to open his hay field to training.  This is the preferred option as there's plenty enough $$$ for this, and believe the horses  can be got pretty close to racing in this nice field with significantly less stretching of things to the limit as an 800 mile commute to LA might involve.

Will talk to the farmer around Thanksgiving.  He has a hearing problem, and I have a speech problem.  Great combo.

Training:
Sun. 11/18:  While KC Chiefs played another historically pitiful game we improvised a riderless full speed open field gallop.  I'd finally got the nutrition thing down, and it showed as #7 for once was totally into it, and, I must say, showed he can run. Getting the idea, finally.  #148 continues to show his stuff with a long silky smooth athletic stride. Two trainable horses, most definitely.  Made the day! Front shoes were reapplied to #148.  Hoof grown from 4.5 shoes to 5.  Some athletes just have it, and #148 just does everything right.  In his second shoeing he stands there like my 17 yr. old, raises his feet on the slightest signal, his hoofs are shaped perfectly with a naturally carved out sole(as opposed to flat footed) that allows a horse to get a better hold of a sand race track.  His hoofs are small which permits less drag.  The horse acts like he's been ridden his whole life.  Everything right with #148, knocking on wood.  Passed on riding today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home