Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Epilogue

It's a rainy Tues. morn. in KC.  Horse wise last eve around dark I arrived at farm to feed and remove fly masks.  Horses unexpectedly bolted en mass from our little enclosed feed area with the trainer thankfully behind them instead of in their path. Major disaster avoided,  particular given my present inability to  move.

And so, the horses got their best fast twitch muscle work in a while--it was a full speed bolt for a furlong or so--that's been the training concern that we've been unable to get the lazy #17 to go at speed by himself and that therefore he'd lost his speed.  And--ironic this happened while Mr.  Trainer is glued to the ground with his hip fracture and cane.

Since last post here on Sunday full implication of my physical condition has sunk in.  There's definitely a bone break of some sort right there in the hip and I am relegated to immobilizing that area as much as possible.  Mobility will improve with arrival of crutches tomorrow from Amazon.com.

 And so--the RR blog aim of documenting race training in terms of performance will--at best--be post postponed.  I am in for a 6 week rehab minimum.  My initial thought was to throw in the towel with the horses.  When you lose your ability to ride--riders being dam near impossible to find including at the race track--that's nearly death for your training.

 I soon remembered, however, that I might keep my two with riderless training until I can get back on--i.e. build a suitable running paddock and mimic race training riderless.  I have done this is the past down to the breeze work, and proven I can get a horse within about 45 days of racing this way.  Can be done, and it's fun and fairly easy.

At any rate--the purpose of this blog has been to document our race training.  We've been doing very little of that for a good long time, and now my injury brought things to a screeching halt.  And so, for now I'll likely bring this blog to a close. I'll use this opportunity to thank those that have commented from time to time including Bill O'Gorman whose great book I read and have used as a model.  I'd like to wish Bill Pressey the best with his endeavors.  Unknown if KY Derby or Bust will be back.  I've still got the enthusiasm to get 'em to the track.  Check back here in a few weeks in case I get that paddock built.  Best to all if we completely disappear here!  Unknown at present.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Bill said...

Best of luck RR, I'll keep checking on you.

7/30/13, 2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home