Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Back In Business

With much gratitude to this fine fellow for inventing the internet we're back in business sooner and quite a few dollars to the better than we might have been.

"Donny" called me on Memorial Day from Midway Ford requesting permission to send out my radiator to be "rodded" to remove corrosive build up he'd witnessed as the coils became visible on draining it.

Since I'd googled the subject, as diplomatically as possible I explained to Donny that in our case the overheating was sudden and dramatic instead of gradual over time which is what you see when corrosive build up causes the problem. Explained to big Don that I was glad he called my attention to the corrosion, but, since my pockets are more lined with lint than money, and we do need our truck this week, would he please follow directions and just drain and flush and replace the thermostat. Will do, said Don, but, it's still going to overheat.

This time I might have the last laugh. I picked up the vehicle and the gage on the 20 mile drive home was stuck on the "r" on NORMAL the whole way. Knock on wood we have the truck back. Thanks, Al Gore.

Yesterday, Memorial Day, was the fourth day in a row I drove to the farm with a dark cloud right over the top. Our prior three days training all had a rain shower either before or during. But, yesterday the rain held off and we got in some really good work. The oldster's all did 3 x 1.5f breezes--about all I can get away with with the grossly overweight Nob.

Thanks to Lynda for the Northern Dancer comparison. I've been suggesting that to Art. Hope he's listening!

Today's Training:
5/26/07 Sat. Day 1 Burch: 5 min riderless slow gallop, mostly play. Tack work rainout.
5/27/07 Sun. Day 2 Burch: Rained lightly right before we started making everything slick. All horses including Art trot-galloped riderless off and on for 10 min. Tack work again rained out.
5/28/07: Mon. Memorial Day, Day 3 Burch: With everything appearing to be dried out from several very light rain showers over the last 4 days I wanted to do 4 x 1.25f riderless at near max speed. Here is what we did: 2 x 1.25 f at about 80% speed. The horse is completely failing to get a hold of the track. Two stumbles in the process cause me to abort. Must be slippery under the surface as Art is holding back. Decide to use the speed he's comfortable at and finish with 2 x 2f at about 14 sec/f. riderless. 10 min walk under tack. We should be trotting shortly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home