Saturday, March 29, 2008

Florida Derby Day














Last post in clandestine fashion I picked Fierce Wind. The sire Dixie Union, above, won a measly $1,200,00 and 7 out of 12.

DU obviously is a looker and out of a Capote mare. And so with Fierce Wind out of an AP Indy mare, the RR favored Bold Ruler-Bold Ruler Cross.

Breeding tends to sway me only as an intangible, but, hey, it's more than just breeding. Look at that Dixie Union, and then replay the Sam Davis and see a very nice looking animal in Fierce Wind. Why has this one received so little play. War Pass perhaps?

And as to Tomcito, good question couple of posts ago by KH, and the 1.5 miles, I can only express my opinon that the advantage--which I believe to be considerable--has been lost by what on the page looks as questionable training since the long races in Peru + I'll fall off my chair if a horse last breezed on 3/17 wins this race. Too much detraining here from what shows, both since November and of late. Of course, maybe they're pulling a Tom Smith and breezing under the radar. Since I believe the horse is outclassed, probably he'll win by 10, lol!


Training: Finally we get decent ground at the farm but our Art is grounded with a slight chest puncture and a chest swelling the size of a softball. Darn it*###~Just as he was ready for serious work. Luckily the puncture part is fairly minor, and it'll depend on the size of the hematoma as to how many off days. I'm estimating about 5 before we commence walking under tack.
Rod:
Thurs 3/27: Riderless easy after 2 days off to heal a loose check ligament.
Fri. 3/28: Riderless 3 x 6f still fairly slow + some ground work with surcingle, bit, and lunge line.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for your confidence but Fierce Wind bled for the first time half way though the race and it stopped my poor colt dead in his tracks.

I know we would have given Big Brown a run for his money having just beaten Smooth Air in Tampa Bay.

Woulda coulda shoulda but hopefully Big Brown will get to meet us again going 1.5 miles. If my colt is right Big Brown is going to have one heck of a fight on his hands. I just wish it could have been yesterday.

3/30/08, 6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home