Saturday, March 15, 2008

Tampa Bay Post Mortems

As much as Robert La Penta gives to the game you'd wish him the best, but then in terms of trainers you pick your poison. That was hardly a walkover type race. Big Truck seems the real deal, the new No Biz, and the rest of that field for all my complaining about handling, there were a few in there that could run a little.

We'll get the injury report later. I'd guess it's 50-50 the horse(War Pass) is hurt. You just look at it and squint. Let's see--no works since October, starts on 1/10/08 with a 3f, a few 4fs and 1 6f and then goes a mile in 1:36.1. Is that just asking to hurt your horse? We've all seen the talent, and may we only hope the connections wake up.

Some speculate this is a weak Derby field. Are they watching? That Georgie Boy can fly, never mind that he's now come down the stretch two straight races on the wrong lead. Again, another trainer problem. Kathy Walsh, for all my bellyaching about female trainers, I've watched the works of this horse, and hats off! But then again, I saw the interview with her on Blood Horse, and judging the matted, coifed character, she's smart enough but i'd guess there's lack of attention to detail that will allow the horse to go on. Would you instruct your jock that if the horse is on the wrong lead again, hey, it's over, and save him for the Derby. Injury odds here would be better than 50-50, but, thankfully, polytrack, and maybe that'll save him. I hope so. Great story with Georgie Boy. Can we say Teuflesberg. I'll be the first to tip the hat if you win the Derby, K. Walsh.

Then we have Gato Malo, Colonel John, Pyro, Dennis of Cork. These seem like talented colts to me. The crow stays in the pot another day. I agree with those that War Pass may well come back. Be interesting how Zito trains hereafter, if the horse survived the race.

(Sunday note: somebody mentioned "bleeding" which I forgot when drafting this one up. Yes, the WP performance would be highly consistent with bleeding. Looks as if our racing reporters are all off today. Maybe's we'll get the scoop on WP Monday.)

Training:
3/15/08 bad weather and a normal off day for my boys.