Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday Misc.

A few thoughts this Friday as I prepare my first post on the physiology of breeze/race frequency and fracture resistance.

Bill Pressey asked me to review an article he's written for North American Trainer Magazine that'll be published in May. Bill has made a few comments here. He's an exercise physiologist located in Louisville.

How'd he do? Google "The Frankeleyn" (Chaucer from the Franklin's Tale) and you get this, if I may borrow a few words from seven hundred years ago:

"In feith, Squier, thou has thee wel y-quit
And gentilly, I preise wel thy wit."

Bill's article concerns heart monitoring and it's benefits in equine exercise physiology. Equine heart rate monitoring goes back to early Ivers before Bill was even born. So it says a bit for me that Bill's article is the best I have read on this subject. Bill, possibly your piece will have some impact. It reminds us old fogies what is possible with exercise science. Sometimes we need to be reminded. Good work to the point I'm without any additional suggestions. Imo it's ready to go. Here's the NA Trainer Mag website:

http://www.trainermagazine.com/america/

The article comes out in May!

Day-Phillips, Mark Casse, and Bongo Racing Stable are now added to the 1/23 post.

Training:
Thurs. 1/29: Each horse walk-trotted 1.25 miles on hard ground.
Frid. 1/30: Rod trot-galloped 1.8 miles. About 1/3 gallop.
Art: Slow galloped .9 miles + .9 miles.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the glowing review RR!-

I am in the process of putting dozens of pages of info on my website, when I'm finished I'll post to let you know its up there - most you have read before, but some new stuff too.

My goal is to put everything in one place: real life case studies, abstracts, links, books to read, etc., so that a horseman that comes across it can get as excited about the possibilities as you and I have become.

1/31/09, 8:36 AM  
Blogger rather rapid said...

Bill, best of luck with it. I thought the article was really good!

1/31/09, 9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home