Wednesday, November 10, 2010

BC Classic Postscript

As usual with all the big races the BC Classic is put into eloquent perspective by Steve Haskins Blood Horse post this morning. Interesting that this is Claiborne's 100th anniversary. I know very little about Clairborne and the Hancocks except they seem very decent people, and I personally have now had two horse connected with the Hancocks. One was my best racing animal by Northern Baby that I purchased at Kee Sept. from Stone farm for $13,000.00. Arthur Hancock's mantra at the time was to the effect "we sell a good horse", and that one certainly was. A brilliant career to be as it turned out short circuited by a kick to the nose and a later crucial scratch by now KY State Vet Bryce Peckam. Ya--that same Dr. Peckam that let Life at Ten into the starting gate. I can testify by the experience with my horse that Dr. Peckam does this other than lightly.

I found it interesting Haskin's description of Clairborne's attempted "outcrossing". So important that somebody does, and is it surprising at all coming from the Hancocks? And then there is the stallion Arch with such a brilliant racing career and so overlooked for a modest fee. A little self congrats there as I recognized the possibilities on the spur of the moment in 2007 in front of my computer when I telephone bid on Rollin'Rodney, broodmare sire Arch. My 25 year in the sport intuitiveness recognized in the spur of a heated moment the possibilities, never mind that out of that same sale Dubai Majesty, winner of the filly and mare sprint RNA'd for $7000.00. Forgivable on my part since i had but $5000.00 to spend.

How good a horse was Blame? I thought his main talent was his ability to sustain rallies despite short training. The horse must have highly superior breathing. Additionally, and this is a little inside info, I find with my Arch that he tends to do exactly as asked without any protest at all. I can see that in the stretch even were Blame a little short on his training, he would keep going all out merely due to jockey request and that he was still getting good air due to his breathing ability, whereas many horses would cease paying attention to the jock once the lactic acid build up kicks in. Arch horses might thus have a little more proclivity to keep going. Also confide--my that is a sturdy legged line.

As to Z I can only visualize what might have occurred with a win. In 2009 one of my many reasons for projecting Z's defeat was that she would be unable to easily weave through traffic due to the giant Quality Road. That obstacle was removed at the starting gate. 2010, different story according to Haskin. The report is that Z had to momentarily back up due to the fading QR, although I fail to see that on the vid. Cost her the race, and so sad solace in this case for accurate predicting.

Training: after a rigorous 2 weeks Rod is getting 48 hrs. off. Recommence in the morning. Colder weather on the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home