Friday, February 17, 2012

More Stable News

14 horses, several were mares and retired, is pretty much a 14 hour a day 24/7 proposition if you're doing your work. I was always humored in Lexington at the Kentucky Horse Center seeing both barns on either side of me scooting about so they could absolutely get out of there by 11:00 a.m. Major league wash rack of course. Their horses were clean, and put up by 11 a.m. and we were generally just getting the last horse off the race track.

Being motivated helps in merrily taking care of the shed row without personal protest. Looking back there were a couple of other things immensely helpful in running the stable.

Number one I had help. Some of it was occasional shed row help. When I needed to leave Eureka or Oklahoma or LA Downs there was still somebody there I was paying to get the horses ridden. In the days as solely an owner, when I was at the race track I payed a trainer generally assisted by a personal employee who kept an eye out 24/7 or the trainer was solely my own employee.

More importantly in those days for 14 years I was with a young lady. Describe her as clever, a comedian. Eventually I tired of the 24/7 jokes,. Nothing ever serious for her. Although she was never directly involved with the horses though she dabbled occasionally you never realize how much they really do till they're gone. In those days I could leave town knowing that someone would hold down the office and any in town horses would be cared for.

Third difference now and then is money. I was luckily most of the working life to make 2012 equivalent of $8-10,000/mo gross and certainly enough to race horses even if the costs in Lexington in '98 finally took all my pocket change. I picked absolutely the wrong venue-Lexington--to move to. Those $25.00 bales of hay (in 1997) will eventually clean you out.
The money spigot came to an abrupt halt about August 2008. I'd seen it coming for a number of reasons--and avoid discussion of that here--I was surprised at the abruptness. Let's say that Obama Administration policies have been unkind to my type of law practice as well as that people in the social class that frequent the office never get married any more. The divorce business for lawyers suddenly collapsed. In these days of $120.00 fill ups of the PU Truck, I make enough money to survive. What's next for the RR stable, I am considering.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home