Saturday, March 24, 2012

Horse Plans Post #1

Would you bid on the horse this horse? Left click to enlarge and take a bigger look. I passed. The horse has nice balance and proportions. Superior probably. The front forearm to cannon bone length are nearly perfect--i.e. shorter cannons than forearms. Pasture angle is near ideal and length of pastern seems to fit the horse although to me they have an appearance of length which gives me injury concerns, a concern of mine probably to be disregarded because many great horses have this same pastern conformation.

I passed because the horse looks wispy to me. Thin from the width of the head to the front legs that look a little odd to me in the way the horse is put together to a weak hind end relatively speaking. Croup distances (loin to tail) look a tad short. The horse might be able to run but she lacks power???

I chose the photo wanting a yearling sale sample photo to illustrate my intent to buy one, and ran into this one. By chance and total coincidence, after I made my evaluation of the horse, the tag line on the photo when I copied it said "Blind Luck". So, I assume this is a yearling photo of Champion Three Year Old Filly Blind Luck who lasted all of 18 races for Holendorfer, and, observe that her race record shows she raced almost once a month till she broke down undoubtedly with Holendorfer's superior than most training methods. She's a Chestnut, Pollard's Vision--Lucky One--Best Of Luck.

And, can we have a little chuckle at that pedigree? Am without any idea what BL sold for, but Pollards Vision (a nice race horse) yearlings average about $16,000, and that's after Blind Luck. Another blow to the Sheik. And, there's an Ak-Sar-Ben connection that's creates warm fuzzies in my old heart since one of the granddaddy's is Ak-Sar-Ben favorite Imp Society, a huge thick chestnut that beat about everybody there except Gate Dancer. You never know about these pedigrees, eh?

Now, and again this is quite a coincidence, BL was also the horse that got me kicked off the Paulick Report. In response to a Jerry Holendorfer breezing vid where BL started a mile breeze off a pony at the 6f without any other warm up at all, I posted that she would likely be injured by that work. Paulick was offended because he'd just made this coup of getting Holendorfer to give him this vid, and first thing that happens, some idiot poster posts that this is what's wrong with the TB business, the Holendorfer's of the world. If I'd had more than 3 hrs. sleep that night I'd have understood the need to be judicious to criticize that vid. It was good that Holendorfer permitted it to be posted, and I should have understood that even though as it turned out I was absolutely right on in my evaluation of what was going on. The horse was never heard from again, except in the breeding shed.

And, I must say I'm a little disturbed about my mis-evaluation of this yearling photo, at least in terms of the horse's success, if you want to call 18 races a success. Number of races--that's the way I like to evaluate. Can they run, and how long will they last?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home