Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Preakness?

One year after 8 Belles, history repeats. But, that's just me. I know a lot of people are excited about the race. I'd be unsurprised if Jess Jackson declines to enter. There's nothing for them to gain and everything to lose. Rachel Alexandra will run about a 1:38 mile, whereever that puts her. She'll look a lot smaller against those colts. I like my crow warm, but will expect to be saving it for another day.

My Preakness pick? First, I am encouraged by the training these horses have received. The low of Preakness training came a few years back with Brother Derek who galloped exactly twice between the Derby and Preakness. This year's bunch of trainers seem more to understand that exercise makes horses stronger instead of weaker . Friesan Fire and his 58 and change? Since he never ran a lick in the Derby probably due to eating mud the whole route, that's fine, and I'd be surprised if FF was anything but tough on Preakness Day. There are 4 or 5 very good horses in here any of which might win. As such, will it be a rider's race? I like to give the nod to Baffert as the best trainer in this crew. I may yet have to take back what I posted about Bennie Woolley Jr. Seems to have done a super job.

Briefly tomorrow, what the RR stable has been up to with photos, and then on this blog its back to injury prevention.

2 Comments:

Blogger Louisa said...

RR--I have been waiting anxiously for your analysis of Rachel Alexandra's training and whether she is likely to make it through the Preakness without injury.

5/15/09, 7:15 AM  
Blogger rather rapid said...

Hi Louisa. I think she's going to make it through. But that's because I'm predicting she'll be outkicked at the quarter pole and then Calvin Borel will protect her. If Rachel is driven all the way to the wire, she's never done that, and the concerns become serious due to "surprise" on the bone structure. Encouragingly Rachel's PPs show that before the Oaks she had 14 speed events and 79 speed furlongs for the year. That puts her above Musket Man for the year and right in there with Dunkirk, and an above-average compared to the DErby field amount of work. Left At The Gate summarized my view of this entry. I have unpopular view with many of the ladies about racing fillies against colts. I used to coach girls basketball in H.S. By that experience seemed to methat girls like boys love to compete, but they do so less intensely and for different reasons than we idiots.

5/15/09, 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home